The Better You

Short Story by Nadeem Alam

It was getting late at night and Adnan was not back from the office yet. I always wait for him to arrive, serve him hot food and then without much talking, we go to sleep.


I was lying in my room and reading some book when I heard the door opening. I jumped out of the bed and rushed outside. There he was, placing his briefcase at table and looking tired as usual. I asked him about food. Instead of any answer, he glanced at me with his loving eyes and smiled. I got confused. First he was not wearing the white shirt which I had ironed for him in the morning and secondly he never smiles at this hour of the time. However, I shredded my thoughts and went into his open arms. Later, we went out for the dinner. It was past mid night but we knew some restaurants in the city which remain open till late. We had dined in few of them before our marriage.
  
We worked in the same bank. He was senior to me yet we developed good understanding. I always liked to dine out, watch movies in the theater and keep roaming in the shopping malls. I wanted to see the outside world before getting lost in realm of the children. My dreams materialized for a short while but soon got shattered. After we were married, he asked me to quit my job and stay home. He got promoted too which made him very busy. I was just two months old bride whose husband had turned into a robot. I lived alone in a small apartment on eight floor and spent my days watching the outside world from my balcony. He now works in another branch which remains open on Saturdays too. The only off day he gets in a week is spent in either visiting his parents or his friends. I had become prisoner of my own dreams. The girl inside me was breathing her last.

This night had come after a long halt. I did not want to end it but it was cruising fast. We went to a mall, Adnan bought me a beautiful bracelet and then we ate from our favorite Chinese restaurant. We also saw a movie together on the cable before going to bed in early hours of the morning. I watched him sleep for some time and even adored his snores.

I suddenly woke up from continuous ringing of my phone. It was 12 noon. He probably left for office without interrupting my sleep. I felt a little embarrassed for keeping him awake whole night but also fondled a sense of joy and thrill which was radiating from my whole body. I could still smell his presence in the room. I smiled sheepishly and picked up my phone which had stopped ringing now.

I was holding my phone and thinking about last night that it started ringing again. I attended the call and someone first verified from me that I am Mrs. Adnan and then dropped the bombshell. Adnan had met an accident and was in a hospital. I initially lost my ability to absorb the news but then recollected my senses and asked if he is alright. Person on other end of the phone hung up after just telling me name of the hospital. With trembling hands, I called my brother who worked near my home. He came within next twenty minutes, picked me up and took me there. I informed Adnan’s parents as well who were also on their way to the hospital. 
   
He was in intensive care unit and had not regained consciousness. Visitors were not allowed yet I was taken inside to see him. His head was covered with bandages and different machines were attached to his body. He was wearing hospital gown. After sometime, a nurse asked me to go outside and handed me his belongings. Blood stained white shirt was clearly visible from the transparent plastic shopper. I was further mesmerized on hearing from my brother that Adnan met an accident last night. He was brought in unconscious condition to the hospital. His mobile phone was broken. They could not inform us about the accident at night. Police found Adnan’s visiting card from his wallet. In the morning, they got Adnan’s next of kin number from his office and informed Alia. After an excruciating silent pause, Adnan’s mother looked at me and asked in an annoying tone, “Alia, were you not bothered when Adnan did not turn up home last night?”

I simply had no answer. I covered my face with both hands and started crying. Images of last night made me shiver like a leaf. At first, I thought I had seen a dream but then looking at the bracelet at my wrist made me tremble more. I started gasping for air and then lost consciousness.

I woke up at the hospital bed with my parents at my side. They lived in another city and had just arrived. Adnan had gone into coma. His condition was worsening. Everyone believed I was too perturbed because of Adnan’s condition but I knew the actual reason. I did not want to look at my hands. Even the feel of bracelet at my wrist made me nauseous. In the evening, I was released from the hospital and was taken to my apartment. My parents and my brother came with me. I removed the bracelet from my wrist and put it in a drawer. I was feeling a bit better. My brother brought some food from outside. My parents were very tired. We had food and they went to sleep. My brother also left after a while.

I came to my room and was stunned by the shiny bracelet which was placed on top of the dressing table. I picked it up and opened the drawer to put it back there when I sensed his presence. I turned back and he was standing right there in the door, smiling intriguingly. I held the bracelet in my hand tightly and froze. I even forgot to breathe. He slowly walked towards me, took bracelet from my hand and adjusted it on my left hand wrist. Staring at me with his loving eyes, he whispered, “Do you want me to leave?” I said nothing. Tears started rolling down my cheeks. With an agonizing look at his face, he started to step back. I do not know how or why, I heard my voice, “Wait!” He stopped. Hesitantly, I took a step forward, clinched my eyes, and threw myself in his open arms.

Written By: Nadeem Alam

Published in The Weekly Mag Eid Edition

Other short stories by same author:
Click 👇
My Million Little Pieces
Twins
The Devil
Help (Part 1)
Help (Part 2)
Help (The End)
Lost Girl 
Shadow
My World
Doomsday
Price of Love

Comments

  1. Hope you all like the story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a very regular reader of Mr Nadeem. He carries all the potential of keep the reader fixed on the story. His way of writing is more understanding, convincing, easy to understand and keep the imagination of reader instep with the authors plot. Please keep writing . I can see a Sydney Sheldon in the write ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story....mystery at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir your way of story writing is just majestic. Every next line creates more and more interest. This one is once again a great job. Mysterious and interesting. 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro. I am happy that you like my stories.

      Delete
  5. Illusion or delusion ? Still not convinced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somethings are beyond our understanding....and that's what makes them mysterious.

      Delete
  6. Sir i love to read your stories. I actually wait for you to write the next one. You are doing great MashaaAllah. Do keep writing Sir. ☺👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to read Urdu version of Demi Moore's ghost .it was a such a romantic sob story this was also very nicely done made me cry but I also smiled.. bittersweet.

      Delete
  7. A very nice story which not only touches the emotions rather unveils the psyche of people .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Million Little Pieces

Cinderella